Sunday 23 November 2008

cravings





i am in the mood to cook indonesian food. it's pretty normal when i get back from bali. when there i eat at street stalls and local warungs. lots of nasi (cooked rice) and mei (noodles). now i have cravings. i miss those gorgeous flavours. my friend took me to a warung that i could not eat at. it was dark and very dirty and when my friend ordered squid they went to an old esky behind me and proceeded to cut it up on a cement slab over the drain then cook it using the dirtiest oil imaginable. ok, it looked ok but it turned my tum and i just couldn't go there. i don't eat seafood but love fish. my friend’s sister cooks me a whole snapper with a coating that is indescribable, so spicy and delicious. their chickens are quite small. most fruit and veg. are too. cute little pineapples that are so sweet and tasty. oh, i have the cravings bad. i suppose a visit to pondok bali is in order, it's a balinese restaurant in adelaide that has food to die for. absolutely delish. anyway, back to my cooking. i got an indonesian cookbook and i'm ready to go. wish me luck.

5 comments:

  1. hmmmm that place you spoke of sounds a bit dodgey....I don`t think I would have eaten there either....Imagine the health authorities reaction if there was a restaurant like that here in Adelaide...lol

    I`m not in the cooking mood today...I have my moments and today is one of them....

    I`m going to go out into the lovely sunshine we have and read the paper...Only Daniel home today so it should be relatively peaceful...

    Enjoy your Sunday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi mandy, you should see the electrics over there. our OH&S dept. would have a cow. there's no such thing as OH&S over there which is sad because if someone dies or is injured at work tough luck. no centrestink or benefits at all. just do the best you can. so, if you can work, you can't eat and it's on the street for you. very sad. on a lighter note, i just made nasi goreng ayam (fried chicken and rice) and it was bloody fab. needed more chili but it wasn't bad at all. i'm taking some up to my daughter's for their t. have a good one, i knew it would warm up this arvo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. O yuuummm. Now you've made me crave some Indonesian as well, and it's too late, the local markets have finished for the day. I'll hold you responsible for my rumbling tummy.

    I could cook something, but I'm way too lazy when I'm on my own, it'll probably be avacado & salad again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi tazar, sorry about that. i made nasi goreng ayam and it wasn't too bad. my next dish might be yellow chicken. avacado and salad doesn't sound too horrible either. :) i like your page btw

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting. :)